ELIX successfully implemented the project “Peace Action Week - Making Change Happen” as part of the international Campaign that is coordinated by CCIVS with the title “Raising Voice – Raising Peace”, with the financial support of the Erasmus+ programme.
The project aimed not only at building peace and fostering migrants’ integration by increasing intercultural sensitivity, but also at improving active participation and commitment among youth. The project was held in Athens, 23-30 of March 2017 with the participation of 28 youngsters from 6 different countries and 7 different partners from all over Europe. More specifically, the project's aims are:
- To promote a constructive debate where participants will have the opportunity to share their views freely thanks to a peer to peer approach;* To bring the participants to an active reflection on the topic through non formal education activities and experiential learning;
- To promote mutual understanding among the participants by encouraging them to approach intercultural dialogue with tolerance and open-minded attitude;
- To expand participants’ knowledge about human rights;
- To put the participants in contact not only with actors who are working with refugees and migrants, but also with refugees and migrants themselves;
- To empower the participants - and through them other actors in their communities of origin - by strengthening their skills, in particular the ones needed to organize effective raising awareness actions, projects and events at local, national and international level;
- To encourage participants to take action in their own countries.
This project was structured in two parts: in the first part, participants had the chance to widen their knowledge and understanding on human rights and more specifically the rights of migrants and refugees, while during the second part, the participants had the chance to get trained, develop and perform their own awareness raising actions.
During the last day of the project, we implemented an awareness event in the central square of Athens, Syntagma. More information about the event: http://www.elix.org.gr/index.php/el/press-announcements/dt-announcements-gr/1356-dt-day-action-peace-week-make-change-happen-march-2017
The Peace Action Week is an important tool to connect volunteering with training for awareness and promotion of human rights, and more specifically the rights of migrants and refugees as well as the promotion of peace.