ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organization committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece.
Through this project, more than 4.000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
Supervise all organisational aspects of a Learning Center (LC) facilitating the delivery of non-formal educational activities to refugee and migrant children and their parents living in the New Lesvos Site where ELIX provides Non Formal Education.
Support the Field Education Coordinator in managing, organizing and monitoring implementation of the educational program on the assigned Learning Center.
Undertake the general administration of the LC including registrations, staff management and scheduling of lessons as well as any necessary procedures to improve the learning process.
Reports to: Field Education Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: 5-12 Teachers (depending on the LC)
Duration: Contract duration will be six months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, or Tuesday to Saturday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Support the Field Education Officer to set the Learning Center values and communicates them to staff, students, parents and the community.
- Set high expectations of achievement for staff and students.
- With the Education Officer, support the establishment of Parent Groups maintaining an effective partnership with the wider community to support and improve children’s personal development and academic achievement.
- Create and maintain a healthy and safe space for learning.
- Ensure that professional duties are fulfilled, as specified in the roles and responsibilities of Teachers, including those of the Learning Center Officer.
- Ensure attendance is taken by teachers, and collect data systematically. Check data and ensure that it is logically presented to the Field Education Officer.
- Support the registration and enrolment of students.
- Follow up cases of students who are absent from the Learning Centers for long periods of time, or children who enrolled but don’t attend.
- Design and conduct mobilization campaigns and outreach activities to increase children’s and youth attendance.
- Oversee and monitor student’s attendance on a daily basis checking for irregularities, compiles and reports to the Project Coordinator Assistant.
- Ensure that all the documents and records for the school are duly filled and filed correctly;
- Ensure the Learning Centers and the space immediately outside is clean, tidy and well maintained, raising any maintenance issues to the Project Coordinator Assistant.
- Make sure that the Learning Center (windows and doors) are properly locked at the end of the day.
- Manage material supplies given by ELIX to the Learning Center, report loss or damage of materials, distribute supplies and conduct monthly stock inventories. Update the Project Coordinator Assistant on material needs and gaps.
- Ensure the correct use of all school property and supplies at all times.
- Maintain an environment that promotes and secures good teaching, effective learning, high standards of achievement and good behavior.
- Support the Field Education Officer and the Case Management colleagues promote extra-curricular activities in accordance with the educational aims of the Learning Center.
- Make sure the teachers set homework and give regular feedback to students.
- Create, set and administer assessments and make sure learners get reports on their progress.
- Line manages 5-12 teachers (depending on the LC).
- Act as a Security Focal Point for the assigned site.
- Meet with the Project Coordinator Assistant and the Field Education Officer for a fixed meeting on a weekly basis and provide information on attendance, school environment and any issues that require follow-up;
- Inform parents on Learning Center’s initiatives;
- Support the Education Officer and Education Coordinator in delivery of training for teaching staff and Parent Groups.
- Supports the smooth cooperation of the Field Education Officer and the Refugee Education Coordinator (REC);
- Ensure that a suitable person assumes responsibility for the Learning Center Officer function at any time when absent from the Learning Center.
- Working with Case Management Team to ensure a joined-up approach to the provision of both recreational activities/psychosocial support and learning to children, maximizing access to both.
- Make referrals of vulnerable children to the ELIX Case Management Team.
- Participates in meetings with other project stakeholders when necessary.
- Stay informed of relevant teaching and learning materials for the provision of non-formal education.
- If a teacher is sick, or off-work, the Learning Center Officer will be expected to cover the teacher’s lessons, to ensure classes are not cancelled.
- Write a weekly narrative and data report which is submitted to the Project Coordinator Assistant.
- Support the development of a curriculum of studies i.e. timetables in the Learning Centers and monitor its implementation.
- Represent ELIX at community events, partner’s visits, stakeholders meetings and in awareness raising activities.
- Support focus groups discussions, assessment, surveys and awareness events as arranged with the Education Officer and/or the Project Coordinator Assistant.
- With the support of the Education Officer communicates and consults with parents and the community, in order to promote the education services available, and identify and address any barriers to children accessing education.
- Participate in compulsory training and capacity development opportunities.
- Wear ELIX visibility while in the field.
- Any other relevant duty as directed by the Education Officer or Education Coordinator.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Education Studies or relevant field;
- Ability to work in difficult environment
- Ability to mobile teaching and to outdoor activities
- Professional experience as a qualified teacher;
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of administration;
- Experience with school management and administrative support;
- Prior experience managing other teachers;
- Experience of data management and good knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Demonstrates good problem-solving skills and leadership qualities;
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece;
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs;
- Knowledge of the national Greek educational system;
- Strong verbal and written English skills;
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. In particular, a good understanding of the ELIX mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Experience delivering classes in non-traditional contexts, outside of the formal school system;
- Experience working in an emergency/humanitarian context.
- Hold a clean driving license and are able to travel independently.
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 28th February 2021