Position title: Mother Tongue Teacher (EDU-INT-NM) or Translator – Intercultural Mediator of Arabic and French Language
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organization committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece.
Through this project, more than 4000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
ELIX is looking to hire qualified teachers to deliver non-formal education classes of Arabic, and French Language to refugee and migrant children in ELIX Learning Centers located in camps and urban locations in the Attica Region. The employees undertaking this role will be trained in BLA – Balanced Literacy Approach, which will be in turn implemented by them on educational activities.
Reports to: Learning Center Officer for organisational issues and Field Education Officer for educational issues.
Close coordination with other Teachers as well as a Psychologist and a Social Worker.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Assisting in the planning and preparation of classes and activities.
- Assist teaching according to the educational needs of the students assigned to him/her.
- Assist in identification and adaptation of relevant teaching and learning materials for the provision of non-formal education focusing on mother tongue enhancement.
- Development of intercultural activities and respective material in order to raise cultural awareness and sensitivity of students, as well as to enhance their mother tongue knowledge.
- Providing cultural mediation for staff members and/or other stakeholders.
Overall provision of non-formal education
- Supporting the enrolment of school-going age children and adults.
- Recording attendance of students on a daily basis.
- Supporting the behavior and organization of students inside and outside the classroom (when not teaching).
- Advising and co-operating with the on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable of regular classes in order to deliver non-formal education to a large range of refugee and migrant children.
- Advising and co-operating with the Education Officer, Learning Center Officer and especially other teachers on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable of classes and specific educational activities with a focus on the mother tongue of students.
- Supporting the teaching team to cover lesson gaps.
- Supporting other teachers in the classroom in terms of teaching and communicating with students and parents.
- Promoting the general progress and wellbeing of individual students and of any class or group of students assigned to her/him.
- Making records and reports on the educational needs of students.
- Making referrals of vulnerable beneficiaries to the Case Management team.
- Working with other Teachers and Case Management teams to ensure a joined-up approach to the provision of both educational, recreational activities/psychosocial support and learning to beneficiaries, thus maximizing access to both.
- With the support of the Learning Center Officer and the Education Officer, communicating and consulting with parents and the community, in order to promote the educational services available, and identify and address any barriers to students accessing education.
- Participating in compulsory training and capacity development opportunities provided by the Education Team on a regular basis.
- Participating in administrative and organizational tasks related to the duties as described above, including the allocation of equipment and materials, as well as the distribution of learning material to students.
- Preparing and maintaining a conducive learning environment.
Qualifications and experience: Permission to work in Greece
- Native speaker of Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Kurmanji, Sorani or Urdu Language
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or Greek.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of students in the school and community.
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX, in particular, a good understanding of the ELIX mandate and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of administration.
- The ability to engage students of different ages and abilities with innovative activities and teaching methods.
- Experience working in a humanitarian context.
- Experience teaching refugee or migrant children, or other minority groups.
- Experience delivering classes in non-traditional contexts, outside of the formal school system.
- Experience engaging with parents and communities.
- Experience adapting teaching and learning material to the needs of students, particularly ones with limited language or literacy.
- Knowledge of the national Greek educational system.
- Holding a teaching degree will be considered a strong asset.
Competencies for this role: Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Interested? Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 30th September 2022