Position Title: Psychologist
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece.
Through this project, more than 4.000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The overall purpose of the Psychologist is to support directly or indirectly ELIX staff on handling mental health issues that may arise from daily activities during work. He/she is to help ELIX get the best performance from their employees and also to improve employees' job satisfaction. He/she is also responsible for supporting the Education Team with students referral cases and consultation regarding handling of psychosocial cases. The Psychologist works in collaboration with the Education Officer and with a team composed of a Social Worker as well as teachers and translators in the Learning Centers.
Reports to: Education Officer
Duration: Depending on the project funding. Working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Coordinate and drive health and well-being initiatives in line with the ELIX project strategy.
- Organise activities to promote the psychosocial well-being of ELIX staff and its beneficiaries.
- Implement effective psychosocial support through cooperation with other members of the ELIX Management Team.
- Conduct counseling assessments of the psychosocial and/or psychological needs of beneficiaries in line with standards relating to mental health.
- Provide guidelines to ELIX staff on how to support individual beneficiaries through individual counsel, group interventions, referral to special psychological/ psychiatric/ medical services for further assessment/ treatment or referral to other service providers.
- Model positive behaviors, including conflict resolution and problem solving and provide support in these aspects to team members as appropriate.
- Participate in case conferences, training and case management meetings as necessary.
- Provide Psychological First Aid (PFA) as necessary.
Documentation and record keeping
- Develop and maintain accurate and clear meetings records.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and information management standards and protocols, sharing information only in compliance with these standards;
- Comply with all relevant ELIX policies and procedures.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support and participate in programme monitoring and evaluation activities as requested.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Psychology, Clinical Psychology or Occupational Psychology.
- Experience in working within an educational context.
- Experience in working with refugee and/or migrant population.
- Knowledge and understanding of the impact of traumatic events on refugee and migrant population, as well as approaches and strategies to support and promote resilience and problem solving.
- Knowledge and experience of supporting families and delivering training/support in positive parenting approaches.
- Good working knowledge of national and international legal frameworks and conventions related to care and protection.
- Knowledge and understanding of migration and asylum legislation, policies and practices in Greece and the European Union.
- Able to work as a member of a team
- Able to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of other relevant languages will be considered an asset e.g. Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Kurmanji
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Interested? Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close on 12th December 2021
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.