Position Title: Education Team Leader - Korinthos (EDU-TEAML-KOR)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece. Through this project, more than 4.000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
Support the delivery of non-formal education to refugee and migrant children and/or adults living in reception sites in Greece. Provide support to the Project Coordinator in managing, organizing and monitoring implementation of the education program on the assigned site. The Team Leader must support the management of teachers, the general administration, including scheduling of lessons, directly teach classes and must lead processes to improve student learning and learning outcomes. Must also support the community engagement towards ELIX activities. Will be responsible for allocating responsibilities and retaining the best people. Will also be responsible for selecting, job placing and housing assignments.
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Collaborates with: Social Worker
Staff reporting to this post: 6-12 employees (depending on the site).
Key role and responsibilities:
- Work with the Project Coordinator and Education Officer to set the education and social values and communicate them to pupils, staff, parents and the community.
- Develop, promote and implement educational and social support activities, together with the Social Worker, for the entire region of Peloponnese.
- Sets high expectations of achievement for staff and students.
- Acts as a leader, finding ways of improving learning outcomes for all beneficiaries.
- Ensures parent’s involvement in maintaining an effective partnership with the wider community to support and improve children’s personal development and academic achievement.
- Leads the development of a strong educational administration.
- Creates and maintains a healthy and safe space for learning.
- Mentors and coaches, less experienced teachers and volunteers, providing guidance to improve their performance.
- Ensures that professional duties are fulfilled.
- Supports outreach and community activities.
- Follow up cases of absent students.
- Designs and conducts mobilization campaigns and outreach activities to increase children’s and youth attendance.
- Oversees and monitors student’s attendance.
- Ensures that all the documents and records for the educational activities are duly filled and filed correctly;
- Manages material supplies given by ELIX to the field, reports loss or damage of materials, distributes supplies and conducts stock inventories.
- Ensures the correct use of all educational property and supplies at all times.
- Maintains an environment that promotes and secures good teaching, effective learning, high standards of achievement and good behavior.
- Promotes extra-curricular activities in accordance with the educational aims of the education program.
- Oversee outreach activities to beneficiaries in order to assess and address the information needs, provide comprehensive, timely and accurate information, in a relevant language, and in a culturally sensitive way.
- Supervise one-to-one meetings with families (parents, caregivers) with a focus on building bonds between children and their parents.
- Contact with ELIX staff members and/or other stakeholders, so as to have support in facilitating beneficiaries’ access to health, education, employment, and integration opportunities.
- Supporting regular attendance of children in activities.
- Supporting the behavior and organization of children in social activities.
- Acts as substitute teacher and covers teaching hours when the need arise
- Writes reports.
- Supports the development of a curriculum of studies.
- Represents ELIX at community events, liaise in camp-based meetings and in awareness raising activities.
- Supports focus groups discussions, assessment, surveys and awareness events.
- Communicates and consults with parents and the community, in order to promote the education services available, and identify and address any barriers to children accessing education.
- Participating in compulsory training (including child safeguarding) and capacity development opportunities provided by the Education Team on a regular basis.
- Wear ELIX visibility while in the field.
- Any other relevant duty as directed by the Field Education Coordinator or ELIX Education Coordinator.
- Driver’s licence will be considered as a strong asset.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Education Studies or relevant field
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience as a qualified teacher;
- Experience teaching an adapted curriculum, catch-up classes, non-formal education or basic literacy and numeracy to refugee and migrant children;
- Prior experience managing other teachers/ prior headteacher experience;
- Experience with school management and administrative support;
- Experience teaching children for whom Greek is a second language;
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of teaching, including classroom management, positive discipline, active learning and inclusive education;
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs;
- Experience adapting teaching and learning material to the needs of students, particularly children with limited language or literacy;
- The ability to engage children of different ages and abilities with innovative activities and teaching methods;
- Knowledge of the national Greek education system;
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece;
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of administration;
- Strong verbal and written English skills;
- Experience of data management and good knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Demonstrates good problem-solving skills and leadership qualities;
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. In particular, a good understanding of the ELIX mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Arabic or Farsi language skills;
- Experience delivering classes in non-traditional contexts, outside of the formal school system;
- Experience working in an emergency/humanitarian context.
Competencies for this role: Behaviors (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountability for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and with relevant external partners.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Interested? Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applications close on 21st November 2021.