Position Title: Field Coordinator Lesvos (ELIX-FC-LESVOS)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organization committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece.
Through this project, more than 4.000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The Field Coordinator will work closely with the Project Coordinator and Project Manager for the designated field area, and will act as the primary coordinator in the location of interest within the Lesvos region under their responsibility, representing ELIX and its different program activities. He/she will liaise and coordinate with local authorities, camp managers and other humanitarian actors. He/she will also have oversight of Safety and Security, work with line managers in other ELIX project locations and facilitate and provide day to day support to the program teams working in the concerned location. The Field Coordinator will also act as a focal point in the concerned location for beneficiary accountability.
Reports to: Project Coordinator. Liaises with all staff, partners and stakeholders.
Staff reporting to this post: Field Education Officer, ECD Teachers, Greek Language Teachers, Mother Tongue Teachers, any administration personnel on location.
Duration: Contract duration will be three months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, oversee overall program implementation in Lesvos.
- Ensure that ELIX work is coordinated with the efforts of other agencies and Government bodies working in designated locations. Take a supporting role within location level Interagency Coordination forums, ensuring the specific needs of beneficiaries are being addressed.
- Undertake regular consultation and coordination with NGOs and local actors operational in the area of responsibility to ensure an effective, joint and coordinated response and a common understanding of all program interventions.
- Build strong links with relief committees, community leaders within the designated locations and with host communities - seek opportunities for program integration with host or nearby communities.
- Facilitate donor and internal visits whenever requested.
- Coordinate with local authorities and location management to ensure required access to areas of implementation.
Safety and Security
- Maintain an overview of the safety and security context in the designated location and surrounding area, and how changes and developments may affect the program’s work and ensure that this is communicated regularly to the Project Coordinator.
- Prepare and update site-level safety and security management plans.
- Security focal point for designated locations, assisting in the development of security procedures and protocols, providing security induction for visitors and new starters and ensuring the understanding and strict compliance of staff and visitors at all times.
- Responsible for immediate reporting of safety and security incidents to the Project Coordinator or Project Manager and support with the incidents documentation.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Reporting
- Weekly reporting on designated location activities, needs and location contextual changes.
- Monitor that the standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the code of conduct.
- Support in the set-up and operation of beneficiary accountability mechanisms at designated location level.
- Support program and Data Management teams in ensuring that measurable data on program output is collected, reported and recorded in an appropriate manner and in line with ELIX internal and donor requirements.
- Provide a weekly report to the Project Coordinator on the activities undertaken in the designated location.
Warehousing, Asset Management and Distribution:
- Institute effective stock control and reporting mechanisms as per standard ELIX warehousing best practice, policies and procedures
- Responsible for receiving, storing and issuing stock to or from warehouse and checking items received against a waybill and/or against ELIX purchase order to the supplier
- Ensure that all stock is released with a Stock Release Form which is approved in accordance with Stock Release Approval List
- Ensure that all goods are moved and tracked with physical, auditable paper trails and in the standard warehouse database
- Maintain accurate stock cards at all times and submit weekly stock reports. Carry out monthly physical stock checks and reports
- Cross-check Purchase Orders/Requests and Way Bills/Delivery Notes for any discrepancies.
- Supervise loading and unloading,
- Maintain a clean warehouse area and ensure that the security at the warehouse is in place. Ensure that unauthorized staff are not allowed to enter the warehouse
- Plan the repacking preparation and activities of relief items ensuring highest standards.
- Ensures filing of updated information and carry out sporadic spot checks
- Maintain an accurate asset and inventory register. Ensuring appropriate and timely maintenance and repairs are conducted and that all assets and inventory are accurately tracked
Program Implementation Support
- Support designated locations or learning center teams to implement their day to day action plans, in collaboration with Project Coordinator and Education Coordinator.
- Organize procurement to support technical program teams with set-up and implementation of activities.
- Help build synergies and links between the varying parts of ELIX program implementation.
- Identify changing needs within the designated locations, and work with the Project Coordinator, Project Manager and Data Management team to carry out assessments as needed.
- Comply with ELIX policies and practice with respect the code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in related discipline or appropriate professional experience.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Experience of representation with key stakeholders and coordination with other organizations.
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy, negotiations and mediation in multi-cultural setups.
- Demonstrable experience of Monitoring & Evaluation and beneficiary accountability.
- Ability to work independently with high interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Greek and computer literate.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to and understanding of ELIX aims, values and principles.
- Multi-site and/or remote management experience.
- Previous experience in a camp site coordination role, with emphasis on communication with communities and authorities and/or safety and security.
- International and European program support experience.
- Fluent in Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish etc.
Skills and behaviors:
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities, giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.·
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 18th October 2020