Position title: Psychosocial Support Employee (PSYSOC-NM)
About ELIX: ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
ELIX is looking to hire qualified professionals to offer psychosocial support to refugee and migrant children for a project located in the area of Nea Makri, Attica.
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Close coordination with other Teachers as well as a Psychosocial Workers and Interpreters.
Location: Nea Makri, Attica
Duration: Contract duration will be three to six months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Supervise and support care of male children and ensure their well-being and that their best interest is prioritized
- Prevent a difficult psychosocial situation developing into something more severe
- Help children cope better, and become reconciled to, everyday life
- Help beneficiaries to resume their normal lives and integrate daily activities
- Provide structured recreational activities, encourage the boys to attend sport, education and other activities
- Be a positive role model and demonstrate conflict-solving behaviours
- Take action to prevent and deescalate tense or violent situations on location, and intervene if needed
- Liaise with Project Coordinator regularly to keep him/her informed of any development or problems
- Prevent entry of unauthorized people on location, and refer doubtful cases to Project coordinator
- Provide support in daily tasks/errands for the proper function of the location
- Escort the children where and when it is needed
- Comply with child safeguarding and confidentiality protocols
- Comply with all relevant ELIX rules, policies and procedures including child safeguarding, confidentiality and do no harm principles
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in Social Work or Education or Psychology or other relevant sociological fields
- Interest in working with migrant/refugee children
- Ability to carry-out activities for youth
- Ability to engage with children/ adolescents from different cultural backgrounds
- Good communication skills, team player, and flexibility
- Capacity to work in difficult, stressful and intensive contexts
- Good knowledge of children’s/adolescent’s rights and related matters.
- Good understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues; commitment to apply relevant policies
- Good oral and verbal communications skills
- Good knowledge of English and/or Arabic/Farsi will be an asset
- Experience with NGOs in an international environment
- Experience of working with refugees and migrants
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 14th December 2019