Position Title: Educational Platform Coordinator - Greek as a Second Language - Κωδικός Θέσης: EDU-EPC
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organization committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX is implementing an educational program for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Attica. Through this project, more than 4000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
ELIX is looking to hire an Educational Platform Coordinator, with speciality on Greek as a Second Language, who will be in charge of reviewing and making recommendations to the educational platform content development team, by liaising with the current education staff, in order to develop an interactive and student-centered approach to education in line with the levels and context for refugees students.
Key role and responsibility:
- Cooperating with the Project Coordinator and the ELIX Education Coordinator throughout the educational platform development phase and use;
- Giving feedback reports throughout the educational platform development phase and use;
- Developing tools and capacity training of teachers and facilitators towards the use of the educational platform;
- Identifying and gathering Greek educational materials used by ELIX and its education team;
- Emphasizing techniques of teaching Greek as a second language to ELIX educational staff;
- Guiding, and following up on, ELIX education staff towards the ability to use educational platform as independent users, and train other educators to do so;
- Supporting the effective use of technology as a pedagogical tool throughout the education platform use;
- Supervising and analyzing the monitoring and evaluation process of the ELIX educational data collected and processed;
- Identifying any problems that may occur throughout the project and resolving them by proposing solutions, either by initiative or by consulting with the ELIX Project Coordinator and the ELIX Education Coordinator;
- Participating in Education related meetings when necessary;
- Developing a manual on platform use based on the everyday practical experience of the use of Greek language in relation to the educational experience of the teaching staff and in coordination with the budgetholders’ team guidance.
Qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate degree in Teaching Greek as a Second Language;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in the field of teaching Greek as a Second Language;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field of teaching Greek as a Second Language for people with a refugee or migrant background;
- Experience in development of educational material for teaching Greek as a Second Language;
- Experience as an adult educator for Greek as a second language educators (training of trainers);
- Experience working on the migrant crisis in Greece;
- Good in team management, support and capacity development;
- Experience of preparing reports for donors;
- Experience of delivering training, and mentoring staff;
- Experience of applying relevant interagency humanitarian frameworks and standards in non-formal education;
- Ability to achieve results, even when working alone;
- A high level of written and spoken English;
- Excellent understanding and use of computer technology and software;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy and communication;
- Able to manage stress, be flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances;
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. A good understanding of the ELIX mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support;
- Fluent in Greek and English;
- PhD degree in Teaching Greek as a Second Language;
- Experience in development of e-learning material for teaching Greek as a Second Language for people with a refugee background.
- Experience working with children on the move or with refugees in middle or high-income countries;
Competencies for this role:
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling concerning ELIX values;
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved;
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same;
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others,
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale,
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters,
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength,
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to,
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- Willing to take disciplined risks;
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity;
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 10/01/2019.