Position title: Community Support Facilitator (CSF) - Farsi Language
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece". Through this project, more than 4,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
ELIX is looking to hire qualified mother tongue professionals to support the community engagement and facilitate through sessions with the children the Baytna Hub - Child Safe Space, a kindergarten for children aged 2-5 years and ELIX Learning Center in Eleonas. The Baytna hub is part of ELIX response in the reception and identification camp of Eleonas.
Reports to: Baytna hub leader and Field education officer
Close coordination with other educational and psychosocial workers and interpreters.
Location: Eleonas, Athens
Duration: Contract duration will be until August 2022, with possibility of renewal. The working schedule is part-time, on a five-day basis, Monday to Friday, 25 hours per week.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Outreach/visits to parents and caregivers in order to assess and address the information needs, provide comprehensive, timely and accurate information, in a relevant language, and in an identity informed way.
- Support Baytna leader on one-to-one meetings with families (parents, caregivers) with a focus on building bonds between children and their parents according to Baytna’s value-based, identity-informed and trauma-informed approach.
- Support Baytna leader during the sessions and undertake Baytna sessions with children
- Contact with ELIX staff members and/or other stakeholders, so as to have support in facilitating beneficiaries’ access to health, education, employment, and integration opportunities.
- Support the capacity building of the caregivers to self-access and support their skills development with small workshops and meetings, in collaboration with Baytna leader
- Providing cultural mediation for staff members and/or other stakeholders.
- Translation and mediation between beneficiaries and ELIX staff.
- Supporting regular attendance of children in activities.
- Supporting the behavior and organization of children in social activities.
- Promoting the general progress and well-being of individual beneficiaries.
- Making records and reports on the social needs of beneficiaries.
- Making referrals of vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Working with other educators, psychologists and social workers to ensure a joined-up approach to the provision of both educational, recreational activities/ psychosocial support and learning to beneficiaries, thus maximizing access to both.
- Participating in compulsory training and capacity development opportunities provided by ELIX and associated partners.
- Participating in administrative and organizational tasks related to the duties as described above, including the allocation of equipment and materials, as well as the distribution of material to children and families.
Qualifications and experience: Permission to work in Greece
- Native speaker of Farsi, Arabic Language
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or Greek.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Demonstrated commitment to support and improve the lives of beneficiaries in the community.
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX, in particular, a good understanding of the ELIX mandate and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Strong organizational skills.
- The ability to engage beneficiaries of different ages and abilities with innovative activities
- Experience working in a humanitarian context.
- Experience with refugee or migrant children, or other minority groups.
- Experience in delivering workshops or seminars in non-formal contexts, outside of the formal social system.
Competencies for this role: Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Integrity: Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates a high level of integrity.
Interested? Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.