Position Title: Education Coordinator
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world. Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The Education Coordinator will support the Project Coordinator to deliver The Learning for Integration Project in six Learning Centers in the wider area of Athens. The Education Coordinator, under supervision of the Project Coordinator, will be responsible and oversee all educational aspects of activities in the Learning Centers with a focus on (1) planning and implementation of educational curriculum, including timely activity implementation per plan and routine monitoring against agreed indicators, (2) high quality progress and final reports for external and internal use and (3) ensuring Education Officers and Teachers are receiving quality support (trainings, Teachers Learning Circles, mentoring etc.) while being in line with the project’s aims and objectives. S/he will also provide day-to-day oversight to the Project and coordinate between Education Officers, as well as map best practices, tools used, lessons learnt and effectively share with the Project Coordinator. S/he will actively monitor educational activities, ensuring they are delivered following an agreed educational approach, on time and on budget, and that any issues affecting the implementation of educational activities are flagged immediately and corrective actions are taken.
Duration: Contract duration will be three to six months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time or part time, either in the morning or in the afternoon.
Key role and responsibility:
· Under supervision of the Project Coordinator, oversee structure, design and implementation, of educational curriculum and activities ensuring that services are delivered following an agreed educational approach, on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations.
· Work with the Project Coordinator to ensure educational activities are implemented in ways that are responsive to communities, partners and beneficiaries in line with ELIX principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with ELIX procedures.
· Work closely with the Field Liaison Coordinator to support the development and timely implementation of detailed plans including stationary procurement and distribution schedules in line with given guidelines.
· Develop work-plans and follow up with Education Officers regularly to ensure that activities are on track.
· Monitor project progress against set targets, proposing design adjustments when necessary in a timely fashion.
· Support preparation of timely and high-quality project and donor reports on educational activities in compliance with ELIX requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
· Coordinate with other actors and stakeholders as relevant.
· Support design and organization required for assessments, baselines and evaluations, particularly regarding communicating needs among and participate where possible.
· Support the integration of Education with other sectors in all planning, proposal design and implementation where possible.
· Actively monitor educational activities, ensuring quality of the The Learning for Integration Project and flagging concerns to the Project Coordinator.
· Work with the Project Coordinator to ensure appropriate, timely and accurate data collection related to educational activities against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting
· Support partners to lead discussions with their communities and beneficiaries on project design and review
· Identify learning and training opportunities for project staff and work as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff and those with little or no educational experience;
· Represent ELIX and the The Learning for Integration Project in relevant field-level meetings
· Ensure that ELIX work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and support Interagency Coordination forums (including the Education cluster), advocating for the specific needs of children.
· With the support of the ELIX team, and the Project Coordinator, assist in advocacy activities that promote the importance of ensuring access to education for all beneficiaries in Greece.
· Contribute to communications and media work if required.
· Comply with ELIX policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
· In case of emergency, be prepared to contribute to the delivery of an appropriate and timely response.
· Any other reasonable duty as may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and level of responsibility.
Qualifications and experience
· University degree in Education Studies or relevant field
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in the field of Education, or significant experience managing educational programmes for non-profit or development organisations
· Experience working on the migrant crisis in Greece
· Experience of project management
· Good team leader, including the ability to manage, support and develop a small team
· Experience of preparing reports for donors
· Experience of delivering training, and mentoring staff
· Experience of applying relevant interagency humanitarian frameworks and standards in education in emergencies (for example INEE Minimum Standards)
· Experience of representation, including on coordination mechanisms (e.g. Education Cluster or working group)
· Ability to achieve results, including when working alone
· A high level of written and spoken Greek and English
· Excellent communication skills
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
· Able to manage stress, be flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances
· Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX.
· Arabic or Farsi language skills
· Experience working with children on the move or with refugees in middle or high-income countries
Competencies for this role: Behaviors (Values in practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
· Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and external partners and supporters.
· Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
· Willing to take disciplined risks.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 12th October 2017