ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organization committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizens of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing an educational programme for refugee and immigrant children, aged 3-17, and their parents in Greece.
Through this project, more than 4.000 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
Role Purpose: To effectively implement and oversee ELIX’s education programme activities.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Support set-up of temporary classrooms, and oversee delivery of education led by a team of teachers by visiting educational locations at regular times;
- Create educational methodologies, curricula or learning frameworks, material and tools, including digital literacy tools;
- Coordinate registration of school-age children, and allocation of children to classes;
- Develop, implement and monitor activity plans to achieve expected results. This includes planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Project Coordinator and addressed in a timely manner.
- Lead the preparation of all procurement and administrative documents required for program implementation.
- Support the Project Coordinator in strengthening community participation and engagement, setting up Parents and Teachers Associations (PTAs) and Student councils.
- Work with teachers and community (leaders, parents) to increase education service provision, disseminate information, and identify any barriers to children accessing non-formal education.
- Ensure that the Education program is implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with ELIX principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with ELIX procedures.
- Supervise and mentor the teachers, including conducting performance reviews and supporting staff and volunteers to set performance objectives.
- Support planning and delivery of capacity building training for teachers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Gain technical knowledge on education and other relevant areas, in order to provide support and training to the teachers to maintain the standards and improve the quality of activities.
- Identify any staffing issues and coordinate closely with the Project Coordinator to resolve them.
- Contribute to the preparation of internal and external reports
- Participate in team reviews of results and program progress and/or project evaluation when and as requested
- Represent ELIX in a professional manner.
- Liaise with stakeholders, including local government, schools, NGOs and communities, participating in relevant meetings and representing ELIX and our programming as appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Education Studies or relevant field
- A minimum of three years professional experience in the education sector e.g. working in a school environment or not-for-profit education projects, or as a teacher
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of education
- Experience of project management
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children in the school and community.
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece
- Knowledge of the national Greek education system
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of project administration and monitoring
- Fluent in Greek
- Strong verbal and written English skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Strong reporting skills
- Good computer skills (MS Office, including Outlook for email)
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. A good understanding of the ELIX mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Experience working in an emergency/humanitarian context
- Experience working with refugee/asylum-seeking children or disadvantaged/vulnerable groups
- Arabic or Farsi language skills
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in Practice)
holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues and with relevant external partners.
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 21st November 2021.