Position title: Project Coordinator Assistant (EDU-ATH-PCA)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The Project Coordinator Assistant, based in Athens, will support the appropriate implementation of ELIX Non-Formal Education program in the camps and Learning centers of Attica region. The beneficiaries are refugee and/or migrant children and/or their parents from several different countries. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing administrative, operational and tactical support to the Project Coordinator, by seeing to it that all aspects of the project are duly attended to, completed at the right time, and standards are met, regardless of challenges that may be encountered.The Project Coordinator Assistant will also act as an overall communication mediator between Education staff and ELIX Management.
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Liaises with: Education Officers and Learning Centre Officers
Key role and responsibilities:
Overall Management and Coordination
- Work closely with the Project Coordinator to ensure that all operations and activities are conducted according to, and are aligned with, ELIX Standard Operating Strategy, Procedure and policies and donor regulations.
- Liaise with the Education Officers and the Learning Center Officers to ensure that communication and information between higher management and employees concerning location activities is passed on and exchanged as accurately as possible.
- Keep the Project Coordinator informed of any development or problems in operation.
- Communicate and follow up with Education Staff and beneficiaries about specific projects and their goals.
- Assist in the overall coordination of Education Staff.
- Assist in the overall management of the daily functions in the Learning Centers and/or other locations of interest by liaising with Learning Center Officers.
- Ensure, by continuous follow-ups, that Case Management policies and established protocols for the running of the Learning Centers are known by all staff members and implemented, and that the Learning Centers are working towards meeting the standards of educational facilities.
- Address issues that arise on a functional and daily basis and propose changes, solutions and improvements.
- Assist in procurement procedures and in the creation and maintenance of a materials and equipment inventory.
- Doublecheck data collection and other monitoring requirements.
- Organize meetings with the team to monitor the implementation of activities in the Learning Centre.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports.
- Help identify gaps and needs for the well-functioning of the Education Centers (logistics, staffing, capacity building for staff) and communicate with Project Coordinator and Education Coordinator.
- Assist in the composition of reports regarding the evaluation of the program
- Assist in the performance of all necessary administrative tasks and other corporate tasks as appropriate.
Qualifications and experience
- University Degree in Business Administration or Public Management or other relevant fields
- At least two years of management experience
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams.
- Good communication skills, team player, and flexibility
- Capacity to work in difficult, stressful and intensive contexts
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
- Good understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues; commitment to apply relevant policies.
- Good technical understanding of refugee matters, asylum policies in Greece, work with children on the move.
- Ability to engage with children/ adolescents from different cultural backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent written and spoken Greek and English.
- Experience of working with refugees and migrants, preferably with unaccompanied minors.
- Knowledge of Arabic and Farsi is a strong asset.
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 15th December 2017