Position title: Project Coordinator
Vacancy code: EDU-PC
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in 12 different locations in Greece. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
The Project Coordinator is based in Athens to support the appropriate implementation coordination, monitoring and evaluation of ELIX activities in the Learning Centers in camps and urban locations in Attica. The Project Coordinator reports to the General manager and works under the supervision of the ELIX office in Athens. With the support of a dedicated Project Coordinator Assistant, s/he will ensure the well running of the Learning Centers’ day to day managing activities. S/he will coordinate with General manager to ensure good collaboration between him/her and the effective functioning of the Learning Centers. S/he has the overall supervision and responsibility of the non-formal education and relevant activities within the Learning Centers in Attika.
Duration: Contract duration will be three to twelve months, depending on funding sources and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Coordinate project running activities and daily functions of the Learning Centers and/or other locations of interest.
- Work closely with General Manager and the Education Coordinator to ensure that Learning Centre activities are conducted according to, and are aligned with, ELIX strategy and policies, and according to donor regulations.
- Overall coordination of project staff. Ensure all staff members understand and share ELIX values and the project’s priorities, supporting children’s educational integration, enrollment and ongoing attendance in the formal school through homework and psychosocial support.
- Ensure regular and open/transparent communication between the different parties of the project.
- Assign tasks to staff members, assist with schedule management, and offer alternatives in case of programme change, provide technical and programmatic leadership for staff members.
- Responsible for beneficiaries’ accessing to basic materials and equipment.
- Contribute to management of stock, ensure safety and security of the facility, cleaning, following up on procurement management.
- Ensure that policies and established protocols for the running of the Learning Centers are known by all staff members and implemented, and that the Learning Centers are working towards meeting the standards of educational facilities.
- Liaise and cooperate with relevant partners and local authorities in identifying and defining requirements, project scope, and objectives.
- Provide leadership and team building for all staff supervised.
- Contribute to performance appraisals of supervised employees.
- Contribute to the recruitment of supervised employees.
- Comply with all relevant ELIX values, policies and procedures.
- Prepare and ensure timely grant reporting and compliance with contract and donor guidelines.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor project progress and handle any issues that arise.
- Coordinate and allocate resources, equipment and information
- Ensure proper and due time data collection and other monitoring requirements.
- Joint advocacy at local level, when needed in close coordination with General manager and the Education Coordinator.
- Identify gaps and needs for the well-functioning of the Learning Centres (logistics, staffing, capacity building for staff) and communicate with General manager and Education Coordinator.
- In case of emergency action, plan and oversee construction or technical work on learning centre locations.
- Compose weekly and monthly progress reports.
- Develop and maintain project records such as databases, reports and records of decisions.
- Perform all necessary administrative tasks and other corporate tasks as appropriate.
- Ensure Project standards and requirements are met through close follow-ups.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in educational planning and management, educational leadership, social sciences, international studies or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years related work experience.
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Able to meet tight deadlines under pressure and adjust priorities.
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams.
- Good understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues; commitment to apply relevant policies.
- Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management.
- Flexibility on working on weekends, and in night shifts if needed.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent written and spoken Greek and English.
- Strong computer skills, including the use of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good technical understanding of refugee matters, asylum policies in Greece, work with children on the move.
- Experience with NGOs in an international environment.
- Experience of working with refugees and migrants, preferably educational sector and/or with children.
- Master’s Degree in Management in Humanitarian Sector or similar.
- Knowledge of Arabic and Farsi is a strong asset.
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future oriented, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on Sunday, 11th November 2018.