Position Title: Psychosocial Support Animator (ELIX -EDU-PSA)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone's evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world.
Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project "Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece" in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
Location: Skaramagkas Camp
The Psychosocial Support Animator (activity facilitator) is responsible for running activities at the Education Centre. As a Psychosocial Support Animator, you will play an important role in setting up and running recreational activities and non-formal education for children through the use of various individual and team games, and storytelling enabling access to information, child empowerment messages, education and cultural resources for refugees and migrants in Greece.
As part of these responsibilities the post holder will design and execute the means of promoting educational activities. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities.
- Design, supervise and execute children’s educational activities
- Ensure a safe and child-friendly atmosphere within the Education Centre
- Conduct a daily visual assessment of the children and ensure a variety of structured games and educationally oriented activities within the Education Centre, catering to the needs of children of different ages, genders, and abilities
- Ensure that children feel comfortable, safe, and respected
- Ensure that children’s participation and input form the basis of the Education Centre and the activities
- Establish a rotation system to promote the sharing of equipment and games between children
- Be a positive role model and demonstrate conflict-solving behaviours
- Liaise with parents and the community regularly to keep them informed of any developments or problems within the Education Centre and surrounding areas
- Screen for and monitor educational needs and gaps in and around the Education Centre
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Any university degree in Education/Psychology/Drama or Theatre Studies
- At least two years of experience in Education (formal or non-formal), Pre-school, -After-School and/or Psychosocial support for young children and/or adolescents
- Experience and interest in working with migrant/refugee children
- Ability to carry-out activities for children on the move
- Ability to engage with children/ adolescents from different cultural backgrounds
- Good communication skills, team player, and flexible
- Capacity to work in difficult, stressful and intensive contexts
- Good knowledge of children’s/adolescent’s rights and related matters.
- Good oral and verbal communications skills
- Working knowledge of English and/or Arabic/Farsi will be considered an asset
- Technical experience in running activities for children
- Technical experience/knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention
- Knowledge of Arabic or Farsi will be considered an asset
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 27th August 2018